Mallam Nuhu Ribadu
The
Presidency on Thursday rubbished the Mallam Nuhu Ribadu-led Report on
Petroleum Special Task Force. It said the report was incomplete and
incapable of indicting anyone.
At a press conference in Abuja, President Goodluck
Jonathan’s Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs, Dr.
Doyin Okupe, based his criticism of the report on one of its paragraphs.
Okupe said the paragraph “is an obvious DISCLAIMER
(emphasis his) issued by the committee on the entire report, makes it
impossible under our laws to indict or punish anyone except, and until,
the Federal Government fully verifies and reconciles the facts as
recommended by the committee in its submission to the government.”
According to Okupe, the offending paragraph in the
report says, “Due to the time frame of the assignment, some of the data
used could not be independently verified and the task force recommends
that the government should conduct such necessary verifications and
reconciliations.”
Okupe blamed Ribadu for the politicisation of the
report. He alleged that there was a major public disinformation campaign
which, he said, was calculated to overheat the polity and incite
Nigerians against the President because of the report.
He said, “For instance on his Facebook page a while
ago, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu remarked that he resisted overtures to make him
compromise the report and rather than compromising the report, he stayed
on the side of the Nigerian people.
“His claim of an overture to him to compromise the
report is perfidious and false. We respectfully enjoin Mallam Nuhu
Ribadu to be patriotic enough to name the proponents of this compromise.
“If Ribadu claims that to be serving on the committee
he is on the side of the Nigeria people, on whose side is President
Jonathan whose idea it was in the first place to set up the task Force
and approved the appointment of Mallam Ribadu as chairman of the
committee?”
Okupe also blamed those who, according to him, leaked
the report to the foreign media before it was submitted to Jonathan. He
described the people who leaked the report as unpatriotic Nigerians.
The report, which was submitted to President Goodluck
Jonathan last week Friday, indicts the Nigerian National Petroleum
Corporation for sundry economic crimes. The report became controversial
after the media highlighted some of its findings and recommendations
before it was submitted to Jonathan.
At the submission of the report to the President, a
member of the committee, and a former Head of Service of the Federation,
Mr. Steve Oronsaye, openly disagreed with Ribadu. Orosanye alleged that
the report did not enjoy the support of all members of the committee.
Ribadu had countered, however, that Orosanye did not attend the meetings
the committee held.
Okupe said the committee did not achieve the task
assigned to it by the government when it was set up. He read from the
covering note that accompanied the submitted report to buttress his
point.
The covering note stated that “we have the pleasure
of reporting the conclusion of the assignment given to the Petroleum
Special Task Force in accordance with its Terms of Reference as laid out
at the inauguration of the Task Force.”
But Okupe said this was not correct as the committee did not adhere to the terms of reference.
He said paragraph one of the Terms of Reference of
the committee mandated it “to work with consultants and experts to
determine and verify all petroleum upstream and downstream revenues
(taxes, royalties, etc) due and payable to Federal Government of
Nigeria.”
He added that the committee did not do this.
“Unfortunately and most regrettably, this paramount
duty of the PRSTF committee could not be accomplished as stated in
paragraph four of the covering letter signed by the Chairman, Ribadu and
the Secretary of the committee,” he said.
Okupe said the committee had failed to carry out the
very critical part of the assignment and instead passed on the duty of
reconciliation and verification of the data to the government.
Though he described the report as incomplete, he
however added that all the work needed to be done to rectify this would
be done by the government. After this, he said a White Paper would be
issued and its recommendations fully implemented by the government.
When contacted, Ribadu said he was out of Abuja and could not speak on the matter
No comments:
Post a Comment