JUDGMENT in the appeal filed by the former governor of Ekiti State,
Segun Oni, challenging the nullification of his election before the
Supreme Court was, on Thursday, stalled for lack of quorum.
The appeal, a constitutional issue, should parade a full panel of the apex court but only five justices were around instead of seven which necessitated the adjournment.
When the matter came up, the panel of five justices, led by Justice Walter Onoghen, stated that the matter was a constitutional issue and that a full panel of the court must sit over it.
The apex court subsequently re-fixed the judgment for January 8,2013.
Oni had approached the court to challenge the nullification of his election and the declaration of Governor Kayode Fayemi as validly elected governor of Ekiti state in 2007 and 2009 elections in the state.
He also claimed that the suspended President of the Court of Appeal,Justice Isa Ayo Salami, was not fit to Chair the Appeal Panel in Ilorin that nullified his election on the strength of alleged conviviality with some top members of the Action Congress of Nigeria ACN.
It will be recalled that Oni had earlier gone to the Court of AppeL for a re-trial of the case filed by Fayemi against his election which led to his removal from office on October 15, 2010.
The Appelate court however nullified Oni’s Appeal on grounds that it lacked merit and that his request could not be granted.
In its own argument,the ACN urged the Supreme Court not to entertain the appeal filed by Oni.
The party said Oni’s suit had revealed his “pernicious intent to railroad the Nigerian judiciary into a perilous voyage of self-destruct driven to its ludicrous apogee”.
The ACN maintained that hearing the case filed by the ex-governor would amount to extending the circus show which he started at the Court of Appeal to the hallowed chambers of the Supreme Court.
The party however prayed the Court not to allow what it called “the unabated assault on the judicial system by Segun Oni and his cohorts in their pursuit of a very ridiculous, frivolous and vexatious application”.
reschedule
The appeal, a constitutional issue, should parade a full panel of the apex court but only five justices were around instead of seven which necessitated the adjournment.
When the matter came up, the panel of five justices, led by Justice Walter Onoghen, stated that the matter was a constitutional issue and that a full panel of the court must sit over it.
The apex court subsequently re-fixed the judgment for January 8,2013.
Oni had approached the court to challenge the nullification of his election and the declaration of Governor Kayode Fayemi as validly elected governor of Ekiti state in 2007 and 2009 elections in the state.
He also claimed that the suspended President of the Court of Appeal,Justice Isa Ayo Salami, was not fit to Chair the Appeal Panel in Ilorin that nullified his election on the strength of alleged conviviality with some top members of the Action Congress of Nigeria ACN.
It will be recalled that Oni had earlier gone to the Court of AppeL for a re-trial of the case filed by Fayemi against his election which led to his removal from office on October 15, 2010.
The Appelate court however nullified Oni’s Appeal on grounds that it lacked merit and that his request could not be granted.
In its own argument,the ACN urged the Supreme Court not to entertain the appeal filed by Oni.
The party said Oni’s suit had revealed his “pernicious intent to railroad the Nigerian judiciary into a perilous voyage of self-destruct driven to its ludicrous apogee”.
The ACN maintained that hearing the case filed by the ex-governor would amount to extending the circus show which he started at the Court of Appeal to the hallowed chambers of the Supreme Court.
The party however prayed the Court not to allow what it called “the unabated assault on the judicial system by Segun Oni and his cohorts in their pursuit of a very ridiculous, frivolous and vexatious application”.
reschedule
No comments:
Post a Comment